Friday, July 27, 2012

All things OLYMPICS!

Let's take a walk down memory lane and prepare ourselves for the greatness of sports that is upon us:




(2008) My original favorite is Gymnastics! Nastia, Shawn, I will always love you...

...the way I LOVE this girl: (1996)

(2008) I will never forget screaming, alone, at the television as this race took place...

...and cheering a team made up of competitors uniting as one.

(1996) Shannon Miller, I will always love you for your steady leadership that I recognized even though I was only 12:


(2004) A relay team with some old names and some new names, grabbing gold and looking like school girls:
(1996) Those gold shoes, that runner...maybe this is what convinced me that running was cool:


(1992) This was my earliest Olympic memory because my brother and father watched them with me:


(1996) Janet Evans. The one who confirmed that swimming was a GREAT sport. She set the world record in 800m free in 1989 and no one has matched it. She tried to come back after 15 years in retirement and didn't make it. You know what Janet? YOU TRIED. You were BOLD. You DREAMED. I loved it. And I loved meeting her four years ago. That's another story for another time, but it was an Olympic dream come true.
Via


Now, this year, it's time to make new #Olympic memories. Follow some great athletes on Twitter. Set your DVR's.  I started following some athletes already, and some of the posts pushed me during my speed workout Thursday afternoon. Since running a night race means less than 12 hours until my usual 5-6am morning workout, I woke up with SORE legs. Smart move was to push my run to later. Mr. Miller confirmed this with a "Seriously?" When my alarm went off. He's my better, smarter half. Not smart move was that it was almost 90 degrees when I ran! Thanks to my Endurolytes, drinking 64 ounces of water and pouring 32 ounces of water on my head, I made it through 1 mile warm up, 8X800's and 1 mile cool down. I only missed my last 800 by 15 seconds; I had left the track and was EXHAUSTED. My coach said, "Congratulations on your first big girl workout." Gulp. I was so proud of this workout because mentally it was powerful; heat and exhaustion didn't shut down my body. I was preparing myself for GREATNESS.

I leave you with this: 



How do YOU find greatness? What is your favorite Olympic memory? What is your favorite personal "greatness" memory? TELL ME ABOUT IT!
99 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!...aka Greatness

No comments: