Thursday, July 12, 2012

Marathon Training: Summer Wardrobe Additions

A change in season means a change in wardrobe. In the beginning of June, short sleeve shirt and shorts or capris were my normal morning outfit; and even then it could be a bit chilly. Suddenly BAM, end of June it's 75/80 degrees at 5am and you better be in your tank and short shorts! When I assessed my summer running wardrobe, I found that a lot of my tanks were super tight, and I didn't like that. It's the old school style; I'm loving the new "loose fitting" running tanks! Also, I noticed that the piping on my current tanks were chaffing up the inside of my biceps when it got really hot and sweaty, so I wanted to find tanks that, well, didn't do that! 

Here are a few pieces of running apparel I added to my summer running wardrobe this year*:


I am always wary of camis. They never fit right; either too loose, too tight, or too short. This one was great! I am so vane when it comes to tan lines, so this is a good choice if you know you're going to be in the sun and need to work on those permanently display "white raceback tanks", aka WHITE SKIN! No chaffing on the arms: score.


I love this tank! It's just loose enough that it breaths and it stays relatively dry. If I sweat like a fiend, it generally dries quickly. It is super soft and the bright colors are my favorite! It was a great race day choice. No chaffing on the arms: score.


Concerning the tank: I love it! It had a similar feel as the GapFit racerback, but was just a bit looser and perfect for a HOT HOT HOT run in Connecticut! It is also super soft, thin, and ready for when the  humidity was out of control. No chaffing on the arms. Score.  
Concerning the shorts: They're great! I LOVE that they are BRIGHT blue! They are very comfortable and don't ride too high; the waist band is a cool design of colors, but that'll never be seen on a run ;-) The website only has drab colors like black and grey, so check your local target where they have some awesome MERRY and BRIGHT color schemes! I recommend trying them on. I had to go up a size because the leg openings were cut very slim. Hello runner's thighs...well, at least my runner's thighs.

Well, there you have it! Some great summer running gear items to ensure that you look good, feel good, and sweat good during marathon, 1/2 marathon, 10k, or 5k training! Speaking of summer, head over to Mom Runner and check out my guest post in her Smoothie Love series! There are some delicious recipes that I can't wait to try out!

What are your summer running apparel must-haves? Are you a Lulu Lemon gal? Are you all Asics? Does your running wardrobe need a revamp? Tell me about it!

114 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

*I was not given any of these clothing items. These are items I found myself, purchased myself, and chose to blog about myself. 

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I love those bright blue shorts! I am SO in love with compression shorts on their own now, and I so need some more!

Beth @RxBethOnTheRun said...

This post could NOT come at a better time. My summer running wardrobe is so sad :( I've decided to be brave and finally buy shorts because the heat is killing me and I can't run in capris for one more day! I love the Gap tanks and I'm going to go check them out! Also on my agenda tomorrow=Target! Thanks for a great post :)

Rachel said...

I'm always checking out running gear, adding things to my wish list!! =) I will have to check out Target's stuff! I love to hear real runners opinions. Thanks for posting! Keep it up!