Thursday, January 10, 2013

#NoGymJanuary Update II: Finding the Group Mentality


There is nothing better than getting your sweat on with other people. Well, I'm sure there are a LOT of better things, but fitness wise, being with others sweating it out can benefit you in many ways. I find when I'm meeting someone, or start to (let's admit it) compare myself with or compete with someone in the class, I push harder. I found a great article from the LA Times detailing the benefits of workout out with others; if you don't have time to check it out, here is a great quote from it: 

"Individuals are more inclined to come to the session because of social interaction, but also to put forth better effort because of the group dynamic that occurs with others -- a positive competition, in a sense," Bryant says.

We're friends, I promise!

See all those numbers? This was from a UXF class at NYSC...I was VERY competitive here!

How do you do that without a gym?! Instead of attending new classes this month (My usual M.O.) , I've been working out at home. Many people can't make it to the gym for various reasons; they could be like myself, who gets more frustrated and ends workouts early because of a crappy gym, it could be too far away to be worth it, or too expensive. Regardless of the reason, if you're not at the gym, you can lose the benefits of a community. So, how can you get your fitness on without swiping your pass?

Here are some suggestions for social sweating:

800's at my running club made me leave my house and get to the track, true story!

1. Join a run club! I've attended 3 sessions now, and they didn't bite! Plus, it's helping push me to be faster. I've brought along four friends, and each one of them was so glad that we did it...and are pushing each other to attend. The atmosphere is crazy positive, everyone is so encouraging!!!

My school's summer walk/run club! I miss summer...

2. Start a walk/run club yourself! I know, crazy! I did that this summer with my coworkers and it was so much fun. As teachers, we get the summers off and yet find it hard to meet up, let alone work out! We resolved to walk/run once a week, and had a fabulous time.

4. Start a workout group with your coworkers! As the previous information detailed, I've done it in the summer, but not during the school year. Ashley has told me great things about her post-work runs with coworkers, of which I was a part of once. Hey, if everyone brought their gear, there's less of a chance of backing out!!!

Two sisters. Two different run paces. One is comfy with 8:xx and one with 10:xx....hmm....

3. Join a social media fitness group. This could be one you create virtually on Facebook with friends from far or near, join MyFitnessPal, or any of the other options readily available sites devoted to promoting fitness and accountability. I personally text with my sister Mrs. Clark about our workouts. We push each other with a press of a button! 

How about you!? Do you have an accountability partner? Are you a group fitness junkie? Any suggestions that help you get out there to sweat? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I married my college running buddy. Instant training partner. Forever.

PS- GO PACK GO :) :)

Rachel said...

I just read this week in Runner's World an article on a few websites that connects runners. I put it on my list to check them out and maybe find a winter running group. I admit though, I'm pretty nervous!!! =)

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs.Miller remember me from 5th grade.Jonathan Ortega from P.S.16. Class 5-6 Ms.Birnbaum.Hope you have a good vacation with your baby and I am having a great time in middle school and I made a blog too in google+ just go to google and search Jonathan Ortega and my picture will show up with my recent update.And my email is JNathan070501@Live.com and I have facebook,please respond back to me in facebook or by commenting me in my blog.Thank you.bye!