Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Using Downtime to Draft your Fitness Goals

AAAAAAAANNNNDDDDDD here come the New Years Resolution posts. Come on, we all them inside our minds! I usually aim for small goals throughout the year, but lately I have been struggling with my workout resolve. I still say the time change causes all problems: loss of daylight and ruins infant sleep. However, I'm more at peace with my decline in working out because you want to know something? I've been having FUN.

All plaid everything. Wasn't planned. It just felt right.

I got to spend time with some great friends this weekend. We celebrated Christmas upstate together and it was everything you could imagine: drinks, brunch, games, plaid and smiling babies (Who slept soundly like an angel...gosh this kid warms my heart!). I didn't pack running shoes, a sports bra or any form of workout wear. This was about spending time together for a quick overnight trip, and it was lovely. I think there's a time and place for working out, and in this hectic season, it's hard to balance that with the fun times. Dare I say I felt "normal", not like a frazzled new mom? I guess it's my "new normal". I feel like we've turned a corner recently, where I'm not as upset if things are all out of whack, where I can handle if he takes a thirty minute nap or if I'm covered in spit up..again...it's okay. 

Always keeping me on my toes and melting my heart.

During this Christmas break, I plan on writing down some fitness goals. I will actually have plenty of time to workout since we will be visiting family who are more than happy to watch Henry while I get my sweat on! Plus, it's supposed to be unseasonably warm, which will up my chances of lacing up for some miles. I really want to enter this new season of my new normal with a plan. I seem to be failing at my plans lately, but I feel like I'm ready to stick to some things. 

Here are some of my thoughts about drafting my fitness goals:

  1. Start small. I seem to flounder after a couple of days, often due to outside circumstances. I plan to set some small goals to get me going.
  2. Find a partner. I'm calling on some girlfriends to keep me accountable. I don't think I'm ready for a big linked in group challenge, but a few close friends to encourage each other seems just right.
  3. Get out of the house. I am making it a goal to leave me home for some runs. I feel refreshed, motivated and accomplished when this happens. This will mean lots of night running, as our mornings STILL aren't consistent enough for me to say "I'll set my alarm for 5:15 AM and go running", because gosh darn it, Henry will be awake at 5:11 AM that day! I hope to meet friends, take a class or two, and go to the park more often. I even bought Henry a BOB Weather Shield! He is SO warm in his fleece snowsuit, but blocking the wind will keep him extra toasty!
How about you? Are you into making goals? Do you just sign up for races? Are you traveling AND working out during the holidays? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: