Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Manchester Road Race

With the race a little over a month away, I'm starting to get excited about running it! What is the Manchester Road Race, you might ask? Here is a quick snapshot:


- It's a 5 (4.78 mile) mile race on Thanksgiving that I run every year!

- You get there by the 10am shotgun, so probably about 9am to stretch and run around a bit (I always eat a banana before I go!)

- You run into the "alley", which is a fancy way for 12,000 runners to "take their marks"

- The shotgun goes off...and because there are SO many people, you don't move! You have to wait for the thousands in front of you to run, and so on. Thank goodness it's an electronic chip recording system, so your time doesn't start till you cross the magnetic pads!

- By mile 1 the ameteurs are weeded out. People wheezing, coughing, barely breathing, AND IN MY WAY!

- Mile 3 is HARD it's totally uphill till about the 4th mile. It's tough. This weeds out the good runners who didn't train and walk on the sides. Also, it's when I usually get a horrible cramp!

- Mile 4 is amazing, bagpipe bands playing, you can hear the finish line announcer in the distance, it's great.

- Finishing is incredible. I run across that finish line knowing I get THANKSGIVING DINNER!

- Even though there are THOUSANDS (not joking over 12,000) people milling about, you still run into your old neighbor, a family friend, or an old aquaintance, it's the best part!


So, if you want to join me, come on down!


Below is my main competition (Since I'm a SLOW runner!)

3 comments:

Melanie Van Wynsberg said...

HA!! What a cute dog!! He would totally be my competition too! I am so slow -ever since I broke my leg running has not bee the same :(

I got your message - that is so awesome that you lost that weight! Yeah I am really loving weight watchers, I always thought of it as being annoying, but then I saw some video on You Tube of some girl that lost weight on it and it inspired me- so to my surprise I love it!
That is so awesome that it's the law in NY to have the nutrition facts everywhere- I really wish it was like that here in VA.

So, when is the big day!? Are you ready for it? That is so exciting! :)

I still have dreams about my wedding (sad I know) but it's such a special day, you can't but help love it.

I really hope all your plans are falling into place and going well.

You will be a beautiful bride. :)

-Melanie

Unknown said...

Hey there, I like the top hat idea. Very nice.

I so can't run... but good luck! :)

I tagged you on a meme at my blog if you feel you don't have enough to do something... Haha.

Sarah said...

Hey! Give us an update on the wedding plans O and how is your running going? I have switched to the bike running is really killing my bike