Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Balance Project

Balance Bar recently hosted a fabulous event for local bloggers. This event included working out with Gabby Reece, one of my favorite female athletes, and sampling some yummy Balance Bar treats. Balance Bar was also premiering their new campaign called #TheBalanceProject. This campaign's goal is for people to find balance all aspects of their lives, including physically and nutritionally. They definitely delivered on both of those aspects!


The view from the event was spectacular.

We started out the event with a HighX workout. HighX is Gabby Reece's new workout program. She came up with it because her local gym closed down, and let me tell you, it's intense. It's a stations workout featuring a high intensity exercise, a recovery exercise, repeated over 30 second intervals for three minutes. It was a good mix of using weights and plyo, constant change and fast paced. In the moment I felt really good, and thought "This is actually not that challenging." Famous last words. I was sore for FOUR days. I guess the motivation of a professional athlete saying "Pick it up! Come on! Push it!" Made me do just that...

Top Photo: The twenty minute workout flew by. Bottom Left: The all new Balance Bites Bottom right: Ad featuring the new products plus a spectacular view in the background.

After getting nice and sweaty, we learned about some new Balance Bar products. Going anywhere during meal time makes me nervous because of my allergies. I always bring a snack, and actually forgot mine because a certain baby had me flustered right before I left home! Thankfully, Balance Bar to the rescue! They featured some new products, called Balance Bites. Unfortunately, these are soybean based so a no-no for me, but everyone raved that they were delicious! Fortunately there were some new products that were dairy and soy free (And the label listed those features, no repeatedly scrutinizing ingredients lists!). The new bars, called Balance Bares, are DE-LI-CIOUS. Two out of the four kinds (Mixed Berry Nut and Sweet and Spicy) are diary and soy free, but all of them are gluten free and Non-GMO.


These new bars are the perfect balance of nutrients for a pre or post workout snack.


I thanked the Balance Bar people for featuring dairy and soy free products. When they asked about my allergies, I briefly explained the whole situation (Which I've gotten down to four sentences!). They said, "Get her a box!" They gave me a whole box of the mixed berry nut Balance Bares! So generous and lovely. And FYI, I'm hooked.


Thank you to Gabby and the Balance Bar team for introducing me to The Balance Project!

We got a great goody bag to go filled with yummy treats. I love that they included a yoga mat. I'm currently participating in a yoga challenge on Instagram, and I've been finding myself feeling calmer and more at ease. Henry and Lambeau thought it was pretty great too.

Yoga with an audience. Always.

So, how am I finding balance? I thought about this on the train ride home. Alone. No baby. No husband. No dog. Just me doing something I would normally do pre-baby. Walking through the city, rushing to the train, it all felt normal. I'm trying to find the balance back to being me. The "new me", where I've taken on the new role as a mom, is part of my balance. But it doesn't have to put me completely out of balance. As I've slowly been doing things that benefit me, I've been feeling more like myself. I think balance is found in finding joy in your work and doing things that make you happy. Despite a teething baby and a barking dog, I'm trying to consciously find joy in my days. By working out at night, I meet my need for physical activity and health. By eating nutritionally, my body is continually thanking me with the energy to do all those things.

How about you? How do you find balance in the hustle and bustle of life? Do you get interrupted during home workouts? What's your favorite "healthy" snack? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

*Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. I was invited to the event, given free product, but wrote this post on my own volition. All thoughts and opinions are my own, naturally!

No comments: