Thursday, February 5, 2015

Times are Changing: Why I'm Exercising at Night

I decided that I needed to change some things up. I wasn't running, I wasn't exercising, I was stuck. Although I love early morning workouts, it was time to be honest and face the music: I wasn't doing anything during the day. I really wanted to work out, but the desire to do anything my house completely escaped me. I knew I needed to join a gym after a 3+ year hiatus. Henry is inconsistent in the mornings; he could wake up at 5 AM or 7 AM. Therefore morning workouts before he wakes up are still not feasible for me as his food source. So, I went and joined a gym after thinking about it for a long time. The plan is to go to the gym after Henry goes to sleep, which is around 7:30/8:00 PM. And so far, it's been working! Although the end of a long day may seem like a bad time to workout, I have been finding it to be a welcomed challenge. Here are a few reasons working out at night makes sense for me right now:

And this goes for more than just exercise - it goes for family/kids, friends, fun, and most importantly, YOU! www.facebook.com/loveswish

1. There are some great classes at night. I have already survived some challenging Pilates and yoga classes! It really exposed my lack of core strength, and I'm excited to be instructed toward fixing that.

2. I have friends willing to meet up with me. A lot of my friends belong to the same gym! My work wife joined with me, and we're committed to being consistent together. Knowing that I am meeting people is a huge motivator for me. Plus, it's like social hour! All good things.

My work wife and I in Puerto Rico circa 2013. Rolling deep since 2009.

3. It's a bit of me time. Although I don't like leaving Mr. Miller (Or Lambeau Puppy...) at night, it is really nice to be "responsibility free" for an hour or so at the end of the day. Blasting some Calvin Harris on the treadmill is a bit of the pre-baby me, and it feels liberating to zone out for a bit.

As a reformed 5 AM workout nut, I am actually enjoying my nighttime sweat. This bitter cold and rough weather make it the hardest time to workout, so I'm glad that my gym is one avenue from my house. I'm committing to going to the gym Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights and at least once on the weekends. Now, if only I could get myself to sleep before 10:15 PM after my 8:30 PM classes....I'm going to try Christine's Best Yoga Poses for Sleep!

Suffering from insomnia or restless sleep? Try this bedtime yoga sequence to relax your mind and body for an amazing night's sleep. These are the best yoga poses for better sleep.

How about you? Are you an AM or PM exerciser? What tips do you have to get out the door either way? Any tips to fall asleep quickly? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: