Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Dairy Free Soy Free Elimination Diet: Part IV BIG NEWS

No need to keep you in suspense: 
HENRY IS NO LONGER ALLERGIC TO DAIRY!!!

His legs are so yummy in these jammies. Henry was excited to try yogurt!

Here's how this world changing discovery happened. I was feeding Henry some Beech Nut food that he LOVED. It was spinach, green beans and quinoa. Now, I thought it was really creamy, and had tasted it. I would eat this, for reals. Anyway, something in me said, "I wonder if they put water in this to make it creamy???" Well, when I looked at the ingredients I nearly lost my marbles: HEAVY.STINKING.CREAM. Whaaaaat?! Beech Nut is known for being "only _________", AKA no additives. What I didn't realize is when the food goes to "stage 3", things that should be added to their diet (ie dairy) gets added to the baby food. Well, my little lion man hadn't been spitting up. I called the doctor immediately and we formulated a plan. 

He wasn't sure about the cold stuff but started gobbling it up after a couple of bites!

Babies often grow out of food allergies around certain ages. Six, nine, and twelve months are the most popular times for them to do this. We knew at six months he was not ready (We had an accidental exposure and it did NOT go well). The doctor was hesitant to test at nine months since his six months reaction had been severe. Well, I accidentally tested him on it and he was FINE! So this past Sunday we celebrated Henry's Dairy Day. We gave him 1/4 of  YoYo Baby yogurt and waited for any reaction (Which is usually throwing up and blood in his stool). Well, NOTHING happened. I was elated. I couldn't resist reuniting with an old love after seven long months:

I only had one slice. Didn't want to make myself sick over the best.food.ever.

So, after seven months, Henry is able to consume dairy and so am I. It was very stressful at times, easier at others, and terrible over the holidays ;-) However, we are thrilled to be over this hurdle, and are ready to test the next one: soy. I will be giving Henry a little soy formula in the next few days to see his reaction. Here's to hoping for another breakthrough for our cute dude!

This was my reward on Sunday. Queens Comfort's chocolate cake donut covered in caramel glaze and topped with pretzels. Ooooooo Heaven is a place on earth....


No comments: