Thursday, March 5, 2015

Looking back: Making Progress

I've taken a bit of a step back the past two weeks. Instead of my consistent three nights a week of working out, I've been going once, maybe twice. Read: More like once. My tendinitis has been acting up again, I've had events to go to one or two nights and I have been TIRED. I think it's the last of winter's hibernation temptation grasping at one last lazy streak.

Sleeves are getting longer… | 21 Tees That Completely Understand Your Winter Priorities
I mean I NEED this.

All this decline was due to my view in the mirror for Yoga a couple of weeks ago. I was feeling bloated, lethargic, but got myself to class....in the front row. I wore an outfit that wasn't especially complimentary, and my ego took a hit. I came home so upset about my "lack of progress". I think this sent me into my decline. Seriously. Losing weight is hard. People who think it's easy are kidding themselves. I let one moment of not feeling "great", even "good", set me back. It distracted me during the class and I walked home with lots of negative thoughts. My poor husband. He's always so encouraging as I wallow.

That is the "I give up smile". Spare tire. Check.

Yesterday, I had a breakthrough. We went for a stroller run. A REAL stroller run! We hadn't been on one since December, and that one was a fluke warm day! We got muddy, wet, had to walk to avoid a catastrophe and may have used the BOB as a boat and stroller. But we ran. And you know what? It gave me just a bit of motivation. Spring is coming. Daytime runs are coming .Vitamin D is COMING! I looked back at some old pictures for #TBT and saw that I have, indeed, made progress. 

We had a great run yesterday!

My first CT postpartum run was hot, sunny, and awesome.  

 My first postpartum run!

 Rogas were a great postpartum wardrobe choice.

I thought this shirt would be complimentary post baby. I was wrong. Very wrong.

I need to cut Lamby's hair, he looks so cute here!

All this to say, I know I'm more fit than I was a few months ago. I have to remind myself that, although I'm not seeing the progress I think I should be seeing, I am seeing progress. I loved Abby's post. This line really struck me:

"But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let the fact that I’m not back to where I used to be hold me back from taking on this race." - Abby Bales

So, stay tuned: I want to sign up for something. Next week's forecast calls for a strong chance of stroller runs (mid 40's insert Sister Act choir singing Heat Wave). I'm thinking I want to tackle the half marathon distance in the fall, so possibly a 10k this spring. 

How about you? Does signing up for a race motivate you? Any races I *HAVE* to run? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: