Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pregnant Runner Thoughts IV

Only a couple of more weeks being pregnant! Barring any extended stay reservation changes, Henry should be here in just about two weeks! Alas, my running has stopped. In case you missed it, here are my thoughts as a pregnant runner herehere and here. Although I stopped running last week, I've had a lot of thoughts since my last post. Here is my advice for any pregnant lady runners out there!

Post 5k while 7 months pregnant!

Beware of the comparison game. Thankfully, I never really fell into this category (Okay, maybe on a dark day a time or two...), but I often reflected throughout my pregnancy how easy it would be to play. I follow a lot of maternity fitness companies and people on Instagram and Twitter, and they are constantly posting photos of these fabulous pregnant women who are doing fabulous fitness fetes! Chances are, they are running faster and further than I have my whole pregnancy, rocking the bump like pros! As competitors, it's easy to think "I wish I was doing that much" or "I can't believe my pace compared to this". It's just like regular life running, but with a bunch of hormones mixed in! Don't do it. Embrace your body for what it can do. If you're running a half marathon at 30 weeks pregnant, BRAVO to you! If you're walking 30 minutes a day at 20 weeks pregnant, GOOD FOR YOU! What is important is your and the baby's health and wellness, not beating your PR or intervals. Your fitness is your fitness, be proud of it!

Guilty....I felt like this the last 4 months of being pregnant!!  So glad I can run now, even though my body is hurting, lol!

Know when it's not worth it to run. We're always down to run right?! It's a mood booster, healthy, and makes us feel alive! Mr. Miller became nervous as my pregnancy progressed (around 28 weeks and on, when the belly was growing rapidly) that I was doing too much. We discussed his concerns with my doctor, and he told us that I would know when to back off. He was right. There were days when I would come home with the heart to run, but the energy of a sloth. I would compromise by walking Lambeau extra long, or trading it up for yoga (Less likely to trip and fall in my sloth like state!). Sometimes, I took a nap! Or just relaxed! Oh the horror! Bottom line, you don't need to be a fitness hero 24/7. You need to listen to your body, which makes you your baby's hero. 

theo and beau - by far one of the cutest things I have ever read!
Downward facing dog?! I just discovered Theo and Beau, oh my goodness, this is how I feel sometimes! 

Find friends to work out with. I was scared to run with people once I became pregnant, mainly because my pace slowed a lot. I continued attending Nike Training Club with friends, which allowed me to still be with my fitness community and go at my own pace. In the past two months, I had the pleasant surprise that my work wife committed to a couch to 5k app, which was totally doable for me! It got me out of the house and excited about my last weeks of running while pregnant. Don't be scared to ask people to join you, chances are they'll be excited and motivated about a sweaty mama!!!

20 weeks 4 mile Super Bowl run!

30 weeks NTC workout!

How about you? Any advice for expectant mother runners? Do you prefer group or solo workouts? Have you been enjoying this GORGEOUS weather? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: