Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Postpartum Workouts: Week 20

So, clearly I miscounted along the way. I think I started in week 8, but it was in fact the end of week 8. Oh well, back on track!!!

This will be my last postpartum workout post for a while. Although I have loved tracking my progress and looking back on what I have done, these posts have started to be less exciting and more dutiful to me. My tendinitis is basically healed up, but I see it flare up when I do too much too soon. Also, my foot still isn't right. I don't want to keep droning on and on...really it feels like giving excuses...as to why I haven't been as consistent as I would like to be. I would rather post when I am really excited about a workout or a run than mechanically list them. 

I have had a lot of thoughts lately about "body after baby". Guess what? It's not like I thought it would be. I was all: I can work out all day because I won't be working! Uh, no. Not even close. Although I did find a great rhythm for a few weeks, and the initial days of being back at it were great, I have faced tons of bumps in the road, the least of which has been a weight stall. I was stuck at 18 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight for weeks, and slowly lost three more pounds. I'm still 15 pounds away from my pre pregnancy, not even CLOSE to where I thought I would be. So, for all you mamas out there who are muffin topping your jeans, clinging to the hope that sweater and legging season is close at hand, and love that flouncy tops are in, here are my thoughts on "body after baby".

1. It's different. Everyone says it, and we all nod and agree that we know it will be different, but the "different" is, well, different for everyone. I personally didn't have serious hip shift (From what I can tell), my chest isn't that much bigger, but my stomach. Oh my stomach. It's a baffling part of my body that won't change. I didn't think that it would disappear overnight, but man, it's hard (Actually, it's soft...)! 

2. Finding a healthy eating balance while breastfeeding is difficult. I never know if I'm eating too much or too little. I don't want to deprive myself which could affect my milk supply, but this hunger is intense! I was at a normal hunger level until around the time Henry turned four months, and then I was ravenous. Despite giving up soy and dairy, I haven't seen "incredible results". (Re: I need cheese in my life. Proof is in the pudding.)

3. The pressure I put on myself is loaded with other issues. My emotions were being dictated by my weight loss, and it wasn't pretty. Between my lack of "success" and the hormones still ever present, I was a hot mess. It's hard seeing people who effortlessly lose their baby weight, whereas I'm sitting here with plenty of it hanging on for dear life. Thankfully I have a husband and friends who talked me off some emotional ledges. But seriously, if you are reading this and you had a baby and you're upset about your weight loss etc, talk to someone about it. Get ALL your feelings out there. Don't bottle it up. 

4. The weight doesn't fall off if you're breastfeeding. Maybe for some people it does, but for me, no way. I have fought for every ounce I have lost. Yes, you burn calories when you breastfeed, but breastfeeding makes you hungry. Do they cancel each other out? I am not sure. What I am sure of, is that this is a very individualized process. All I can do it is eat as healthy as I can, provide food for my son, and do what I can to stay active.

5. It will always be worth it. ALWAYS. Throw that 20 pounds back on. He's worth it. Every single day he's worth it. I would rather skip runs to be with him than get a 5k PR. There is nothing more worth my time, energy, and body, than Henry Joseph Miller. It has helped me to remind myself of this in the moments when I am truly upset with my lack of progress.

So, on to a much lighter topic: my last workout rundown for a while! 

Weekly Workouts: 20 weeks Postpartum


Tuesday: I got in a morning run! After I put Henry back to sleep after his 5am wake up, I laced up and ran two miles. It felt great...minus the nauseous/pukey feeling I had! I forgot how hard it is for me to run in the morning, requiring that I eat SOMETHING beforehand. Half a banana wasn't enough apparently! I also got to participate in a fantastic Nike Women's NTC event! We did a great workout on the Highline. Great way to start my "birthday week"! 

 That little mini gal in the pink ran a FANTASTIC Chicago marathon!!! We always laugh together. She's great. Photo Credit: Nike

New and old fitness friends, thank you Nike for a fun event! Photo Credit: Nike

Saturday: It was my birthday! Mr. Miller and I got Henry all strapped in for his very first 5k! We had a great time running around Roosevelt Island in the NYC Runs Haunted Island 5k. They allowed the jogging stroller, but asked if we would start at the back. Well, that put us with a bunch of walkers and we had to do a ton of weaving on a very narrow course! Once we got past mile one it was mostly smooth sailing. Henry did great, watched the trees the whole time and didn't make a peep!

Pre race photo! Henry is creeping over the top!

 A beautiful lighthouse along the way! Holding up the requisite 3-0.

Secret: He was in Christmas jammies! Great costume choice, Henry!

So there you have it. Between the crazy rainy days last week and birthday celebrations, it was a nice easy week filled with some workouts, friends and time spent with my favorite guys.

How about you? Any revelations about your post baby body? Have you been enjoying some (ridiculously) warm weather running? Do you wear themed pajamas no matter the date? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: