Thursday, February 21, 2013

What I do for lunch...aka a part time job!

Sometimes, there's so much going on in life, we forget to nourish our bodies appropriately. Take Lambeau Puppy for instance: He had snow blowing  all over him (Hence the weird white streaks behind Lambeau Puppy!), but he still ENJOYED the frigid beach!


Upon returning from my two extra day vacation, it was back to the grind. Bringing my fuel (I'd prefer to look at food that way...) was back to the usual. I needed breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. Packing food is like another job!!! Wednesday's lunch was as follows:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with bananas
Mid Morning Snack: Sliced orange
Lunch: Salad with mixed greens, kidney beans, carrots, celery, one hard boiled egg and avocado
Afternoon snack: Half an avocado
Dinner: Buffalo chicken cutlet (A boneless chicken cutlet dipped in Frank's Red Hot then tossed in breadcrumbs, baked at 375 for 30 minutes) with sauteed cabbage (EVOO and garlic salt/red pepper mill)

Next was Thursday's meals: 


Breakfast: Oatmeal with mixed berries
Mid Morning Snack: A handful of grapes
Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Cutlet with sauteed cabbage and raw carrots
Afternoon Snack: Rest of grapes and the rest of the carrots
Dinner: Lemon Chicken Cutlet (Chicken cutlet dipped in egg/water wash, then in bread crumbs, baked at 375 for 30 minutes) and mushroom risotto (SMALL serving of a delectable treat) 

Each work day consists of 64 ounces of water consumed, with more water consumed before and after work.

Ugh. This is a daily process. I often get food ready the night before, which definitely helps. However, being prepared to be at work from 7:30am-4:50pm means I need to ensure that I have wholesome, healthy options all day long. If my (work) neighborhood offered healthy options, I would not feel such pressure (Although their produce stores are excellent, If I miss a snack or two, I'm okay with the fruit and vegetable choices available at a low cost produce venue. Despite this awesome option, I often lack the time to walk two blocks and purchase such items DAILY. I need to ensure that I have options, while at work, to keep me energized AND healthy. 

Do you face these challenges? Do you bring your nutrition to work? Do you have healthy options "around the office"? Are you a "packing your own lunch/snacks" obsessive like me?! TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!

3 comments:

Emily @ FitMamaInTheCity said...

I used to have to do this ALL THE TIME for work. Not only did it save money, but it made me feel better knowing I was eating a healthy well balanced diet. I wouldn't look at this in a negative way though, you would still spend all that time food prepping if you spread it throughout the day. Just think of it as knocking all your ducks out as once!

Christine said...

Preparing my days food is a part time job too. I just started to invest in better storage and reusable sandwich bags. It helps that I typically eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and snacks m-f. But it is extra effort. Packing the same things helps me keep track of what I'm eating (easier to input info into Lose It!) and save loads of money from not having to get emergency take out.

Jen said...

It's awesome that you prep all your food like this! I tried some food prepping on the weekend and it definitely helped the rest of the week. Your day starts a lot earlier than mine, though, so food prepping seems like a necessity for you!!