Here is what Vega is all about:
- Plant-based whole foods are the true future for optimal health.
- Alkaline forming, plant-based whole foods help build a platform for optimal health.
- Nutrient density is more important than calories.
- What you eat should provide you energy, not drain it.
- What you eat should energize through nourishment, not stimulation.
- Minimize exposure to sensitivity-aggravating ingredients.
- It is possible to rebuild a younger-feeling body.
These are the key points from their about page. For further explanation on each of these points, I encourage you to click here to read more, it's definitely worth it because there is a lot of good information on it! Although I sampled the smoothie mixes, there are other amazing products such as seed snacks and nutrition bars, so check out their website!
Here are some key nutritional stats that showed me this product was worth trying:
- Made from all-natural, plant-based ingredients
- Clean and green - Energizing Smoothie is dairy, gluten and soy free and contains no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners.
- Alkaline-forming1 - and easy to digest
- Two servings of veggies
- 10 g of complete, plant-based protein
- 5 g of fiber
- 1 g of Omega-3
(Information taken from Vega Website)
I received 5 samples of Vega Energizing Smoothies: Choc-o-late, Tropical Tango, Vanilla Almondia, and Natural. I was truly interested in trying this product because during the school year, I have to be careful and plan my snacks so I'm not hungry or left to eat the candy that is ALWAYS available. Here is how I used these smoothies:
- Almondia: I simply mixed this with a spoon to see if it would hold up as a mid morning snack at school. It was great! Similar to almond milk; the flavor was the perfect mix of sweet but not overwhelming. I look forward to using this as a healthy snack during the school year!
- Natural: I put this in my green monster (1 banana, two handfuls of spinach, 1 tbps peanut butter, 1 teaspoon of flax seed, 1 cup of almond milk). It was tasteless from what I could tell, a great replacement for whey protein.
- Choc-o-late: Back in a green monster! Mr. Miller made it with kale instead of spinach and no peanut butter, so the chocolate was a great flavor addition for a strong veggie tasting shake!
- Tropical Tango: Coach Jen, my sister and triathlete extraordinaire, was shocked to see me with a product she had been researching THAT VERY DAY! I let her take the Tropical Tango (I'm such a nice sister). She threw it in a smoothie and loved the flavor boost the fruit base provided.
One apprehension: Xanthan Gum. As the last ingredient on the list of ingredients, I thought it sounded a bit "fake". Coach Jen said that was one of the reasons she had held off on order a sample. When I looked it up on Livestrong.com, it stated that Xanthan Gum is a natural thickening agent in things such as cottage cheese, ice cream and salad dressings. Although it sounds like a processed food, it is NOT! It is safe to consume; however, it holds no nutritional value. It simply helps the shake thicken! Phew. Natural food crisis averted.
Verdict: Vega Energizing Smoothie is a GREAT tasting, nutrition benefiting product that can and should be easily consumed anywhere:
Want a chance to try Vega Energizing Smoothie in the Tropical Tango flavor? Why yes, I was generous to share this flavor with Coach Jen, and now you have the chance to get it too! Lambeau is not included in the giveaway, just the awesome smoothie mix worth $19.99!
Mandatory: for ONE entry, leave a comment about a run, race or route that got you energized! Vega is doing a cool contest on Facebook; they asked entrants to post a photo of how they get energized. Go check it out and vote! You could win some great prizes just for voting! (No additional entries on this giveaway for voting! Go help yourself and vote anyway!)
Additional Entries: Leave a comment for each one you complete
1. Follow Mrs. Miller's Miles with Google Friend Connect
2. Follow Mrs. Miller's Miles and Vega Team on Twitter
3. Tweet About the Giveaway with the following tweet: I want to get energized and win the @vegateam #giveaway from @mrsmillersmiles http://tinyurl.com/8gfjjhj
Giveaway will close at 11:59pm Sunday, August 12, 2012. Winner will be chosen by random.org and announced on Monday, August 13, 2011.
GOOD LUCK! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
86 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this review. I was given free Vega product for the purpose of this review. These opinions are my own and based on my experiences.