Can't even see the start line!
Large Race Pros:
- More competition
- Better Swag
- Better amenities (Bathrooms, fuel etc)
Large Race Cons:
- Bobbing and weaving
- Getting boxed in
- A seemingly large course becomes small with so many people
My 5k PR is from a small race in Connecticut. There were about 200 runners and I ran fast (for me) without any real speed training (It was also November, which means my optimal cold weather for running!). I didn't have to worry about being boxed in.
- Clearer roads
- Greater potential to place in your age group
- Often benefit a great cause
Small Race Cons:
- (Inevitably) cotton unisex race shirts
- Lack of amenities
- You could be uninspired while running alone/with less people
How about you? Do you prefer small races? Are your hometown races huge? Do you have a favorite race? What's your vote? TELL ME ABOUT IT!