Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What day is it?

It's a day to #makeitcount! Funny, when you're pepped up for a good day of working out, things often go awry! Oh wait, what is this? Another New Years Eve photo. I couldn't stand on the roof laden with rocks in my heels, so I rang in 2012 overlooking the beautiful Manhattan skyline in my marathon Nike mandarins. Love these shoes. Lunarglides rock my socks off! (Note: I'm in tights and shorts, totally not being an inappropriate over sharer here.)It was a 5am day. Hello old friend. January means the gym is packed, so I went in at 5am. Literally 8 of us there. LOVED. IT. I ran my 2 miles on my training plan, plus the .25 each way to and from the gymnasio. I then scooted over to do a quick strength routine. I have a hip that started cracking...a lot...back in May. When I visited a chiropractor he told me my hip muscles needed strengthening, so here are the machines I worked on:

(Not Pictured) Seated Leg Press: 5 sets of 10 reps on 70lbs.
Outer Hip Abductor: 5 sets of 10 reps on 40lbs.
Inner hip abductor: 5 sets of 10 reps on 30lbs.

Wrong day for Pilates. I was so excited to go use my Groupon and experience my first Pilates class. Okay, so I wasn't excited; I was scared. My core is horrible weak and I'm not in the mood to be sore, but as I said so wisely as a 13 year old: "Pain means beauty." I show up and boldly proclaimed, "I'm here for the 4:00 class." The nice receptionist said, "Wow you're really early, because it's tomorrow." (In all seriousness she really was nice.) Oops. She took all my info and I filled out my stuff, so tomorrow when I go to the 4:00 class I can swipe and go right in. Win? Jury is still out.

It was a 7.5 minute day. As I got home and felt defeated since I had the excited nervous energy for Pilates, I realized I had plenty of workout stuff in my house to do SOMETHING. So,I started using the resistance bands and did two sets of three different moves (Both feet on resistance band, pulling up from behind, to the side, and to the front) with 10 reps. I got bored (I was in my own apartment!) so I did a quick 7.5 minutes worth of circuits:

Three stations:
1. Plank - 5 sets of 30 second reps
2. Push-Ups - 5 sets, 5 REAL push-ups
3. Squat with arms straight in the air - 5 sets of 30 second reps

What's this, a day where I actually liked working out at home?! I decided that I would try to do this little circuit everyday, trying to build up to full minute reps and 10 push-ups per rep. If I'm alone, I'll add (nauseatingly hardcore) jumping squats, but today my third shift nurse neighbor and husband are napping, so I didn't want to disturb the peace. I ended my little 10 minutes of toning (Hmm, trademark it?) with rolling. My shin has been hurting, and my crazy self was avoiding thinking, yet constantly harping, "DO I HAVE SHIN SPLINTS?!" Well, smart me pulled up my pant leg, which we all know is scary in the winter time, and saw a big fat bruise. Do I care that I don't remember where I got it? No. That's common for me. Am I glad it's not shin splints? HECK. YES.

It's a day for a reader shout out! Mrs. C from my school is a crazy avid reader! She's an amazing wife, mother, grandmother, friend and coworker. Love you Mrs. C!

What day is it for you today? TELL ME! I've been getting tons of page views on here recently, and I want to know who you are!!! Also, follow me on Twitter! @MrsMillersMiles!

49 days until Cancun and Winter Polka Dot Bikini!!!
80 Days until the 13.1 NYC half marathon!!!

8 comments:

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

I go to planet too :) Nice job getting back at it! I'm so jealous of your upcoming trip to cancun!

Kels said...

TODAY WAS MY EASY CARDIO DAY! just did a little elliptical and treadmill walking. then, I shot some basketball for fun! :)

Tomi said...

Love your blog. I must confess I've become an avid reader.

Anonymous said...

Love u too cute!

Joanna said...

Kudos for your early morning workout! I could never get up that early. Boo on the pilates class being tomorrow though. Haha I've done that before and feel pretty silly but the fact that you went home to keep working out is awesome. I would've been done right there! lol What's your secret to staying so motivated?

Brenda said...

Kristin, I love reading your blog. Your writing style is great entertainment. I audibly chuckled when I read the part today about the 13 year old self and the "pain is beauty". I actually called Michael in and read it to him. We remember vividly when you and Jenny were ripping most of your eyebrows out with tweezers and screaming "pain is beauty"!!! Fond memory for the both of us. :) Just thought I'd share.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job!!

Also - so happy you are on twitter!!!

Anna said...

Ok...so I seriously need to kick this first trimester fatigue & sickness to the curb and get moving or else I'll be 50 pounds more then I want to be in July! Thanks for the inspiration everyday!