Monday, October 22, 2012

Glad Game Monday XXII

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY WEEK! Yes, it's true. It's just three short days until I turn the big 2-8. Naturally, this is how I feel:

Via Dog Shaming. They make me laugh out loud daily. Okay hourly. 

Despite my birthday being excitingly close, Mondays can still be a drag. So, I decided I'm going to be glad about the people and things who have helped me through year 27 into year 28! So, let's get glad that we're alive, breathing, clothed, well fed, and possibly getting cake this week!

I'm glad that my parents are my parents! They are the best. Almost 28 years ago the doctor told my parents, "It's another girl!" Even though they thought I was a boy. They still take great care of me when I need them. Through broken bones, getting my license, moving off to college, starting out on my own in NYC, getting married, obtaining my masters degree and running half and full marathons, they have supported me and encouraged me. I'm so glad and blessed to have them!


I'm glad that I married this guy. We went hiking on Bear Mountain this weekend (I'm glad we did that too!). Mr. Miller warned me that this would be a challenging hike, and I shrugged it off all confident like, "Hey, I ran 20 miles last weekend, remember?!" Yea. He was right. It was super challenging! Not like a running trail hike, like climbing over boulders and rocks and sticks hike. He continually came to the back to check on me, as I was being the most careful hiker in the WORLD by constantly going slow over dangerous/easy to fall parts. I'm glad that he is my best friend AND my protector.

I'm also glad that he got me my dream boots. Yea birthday week!



I'm glad we have Lambeau puppy (AND for the Packers win!). He brings so much joy and companionship to our lives. Even though he's sometimes a naughty boy, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I'm glad for my sisters. I'm the youngest girl and boy do I know it. These ladies school me, give me advice, laugh with me and cry with me. They're the best. I could not have made it 28 years without them...especially my former roommate, Katelyn (Blond on the right!) who moved to her own space when she was 16. Don't worry Kate, I won't hold it against you. We were still next door neighbors. (I'm glad for my brother Jaime as well, but I couldn't find a picture of us! He's always reminding me that I'm still young. Thanks for always seeing my youth as a positive thing, Jaim!)

I'm glad that I have a great group of friends that I can count on. These people are truly wonderful. The Cancun Crew went hiking together this weekend along with some other fabulous people. We had a great time. I am so glad that I get to spend time with people who make me a better person.

I'm glad that Starbucks Pods exist. Enough said.

I'm glad for new runner friends! This year has been amazing, meeting new people to run with and obsess with via Twitter and blogs.

Last, and certainly not least: I'm glad I can run. I know there's many of you out there injured or unable to lace up and go for it pain free. Abby wrote about it today, and it reminded me to be thankful for the unending gift that running gives to me; stress relief, health, goals, achievement. Here's to running for another 28!




How about you? Who are you glad to have in your life?! Did you go to a great Oktoberfest this weekend? (Did that after hiking...) Finally get to the track for speed work? Choose a 2013 marathon?! Tell me about it!!!

12 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!...single digits start ON MY BIRTHDAY!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm thankful everyday that a new day was given to me. Once upon a time not too long ago, there was a very good chance that I'd run out of days sooner than expected. I feel like I was given a "get out of death free card", so I'm trying to make the most of my second chance. :)

I also turned 28 about a month ago!!

Kimberly Hoban, R.D. said...

I'm thankful for my dad...my running inspiration! And also for new running/blogging friends like you!

Meghan said...

You are certainly one lucky, blessed lady! I hope you have an amazing birthday week!