Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Marathon Training Update III

Well, there goes September!!! We are now in the final month of marathon training. Where did the time go?! September had some definite highs and definite lows. This was a tough month where work began, runs were missed, and exhaustion was the name of the game. I feel like training for a marathon the second time around is a bit different (OBVIOUSLY). I 100% respect the distance of 26.2 miles. I'm still nervous and excited. However, when life happens, I'm not beating myself up or getting anxiety over it. I take stock, reassess, and run on! Here's September in a nutshell:



Mile Totals:

September 2012: 119.7 miles (September 2011: 115 miles)

Types of Workouts:


Easy Runs: With my build up peaking at 20 miles this month, my coach threw in a few 3 mile runs in the mix. 3 miles?! These runs were almost the hardest to start because they weren't "big" and "glamorous" and "challenging".


Speed Workouts: Non existent. Can we count faster long runs? Okay, let's go with that. ;-)




Long Runs: PEAK! Yes, it's true. The long runs went like this: 16, 18, 16, 20, 18...this second 18 turned into 12. HIGH. MILEAGE. One magical 16 miler my average was 10:02, WAYYYY better than the 11:00's I was averaging. This month also marked my first 20 miler of the training cycle with Leticia, and it was awesome. 




Best Routes: Running to the George Washington Bridge was fantastic! The West Side Highway was fairly flat and well populated by encouraging runners embarking on their own 20 mile runs. Running to Roosevelt Island was also a fun change.  Although it's about 3.6 miles round trip  it was a great destination to throw into a 16 mile run!


Bad news: I got a cold. I've been feeling run down this whole month; running only three times a week is not my style, but it's been happening. My body finally gave up after two weeks of feeling extra tired and slapped me in the face with a nasty cold. Fever, runny nose, body aches, you name it, I had it. It even caused me to give up at 12 out of 18 miles on Sunday (9/30), despite having a great pace (10:08 average in Central Park including running over the torn up Queensboro Bridge) After hydrating and following my coach's orders, October's training update will hopefully yield a better health report.


Thoughts: I don't like cutting a long run short. I've run through tears, I've run through rain, and I've run through heat. I've never ended early. This put me in a wallowing funk, which was made one hundred percent WORSE by getting sick. So. It's time to move beyond this month, which should have included MANY more miles, and kick assphalt in October.


Lessons Learned: If you can get a run in, get a run in. Get your clothes on and just do it. I will admit there was one day where I actually brought my things to work to run home, and I decided to get a ride from my car pool instead. I was just TIRED. I know it was the cold creeping up, but if I'm able bodied and just a bit tired, I have to TRY to get the run in. Everyone works. Everyone has time constraints. The difference is MAKING time. This month of October, I refuse to make excuses. I refuse to let myself feign exhaustion when I'm able to get a work out in. "feeling like it" is an overrated statement. Sometimes, we don't feel like running. Marathon training isn't about a feeling; it's about training your body to successfully overcome obstacles to complete 26.2. My obstacle is the energy to lace up; I will overcome it.


In less than a month, I will be a marathoner for a second time. This is my second to last training update. This. is. un.real. I can't believe how time has flown, how many new friends I have made, and how blessed I feel with all the support I have received. Here's to running NYC for a second time, better, faster, stronger.


How about you? How's your training? Have you skipped or cut short a LONG long run?! How was your September?! Tell me about it!!!

25 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

5 comments:

Meghan said...

Lady, you are SO ready! You are going to rock NYC!

Kimberly Hoban, R.D. said...

You have such a good attitude in this and you're going to do amazing! So excited for you!

Karen said...

It would be really cool to live in a place where I come across a bunch of people training for the same marathon!! Like high fives all the way :)

Christine said...

Sounds like you have a great foundation to rock an awesome race day!

It's a bummer to get sick and to have modify runs, but listening to your body is always a good choice!

Danielle said...

Sounds like your training has been spot on awesome!!! Hope you start to feel better soon... maybe this is just your body's way of demanding you rest? Good luck on your 20 today- look forward to hearing about it!