Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricane #Sandy...just days before the ING NYC Marathon!

I'm having a serious case of dejavou. Snowtober anyone?! Yes. It was almost a year ago to the day (YESTERDAY) that Snowtober hit as I was on my way home from Saturday School, the weekend before my first marathon.

Now, on the week eve of my second marathon, Hurricane Sandy is threatening serious impact. School is cancelled tomorrow. Subways are closing down. Things are getting real yo. Ain't nobody got time for that!

This weekend, I ran my final "long run". 5 miles. Beautiful Connecticut trail. I was in heaven with my sister Coach Jen, running to my heart's content. 

I woke this morning at 6am with severe anxiety. Stupid storm. We bought the last 24 pack of water at our local grocery store in CT, then drove back to NYC and arrived around 11am. Bought more water, bread, peanut butter, beer, and made buffalo chicken mac and cheese. We watched the Packers game, and we won! 



However, everything has been clouding over the real excitement of this week: MARATHON WEEK. Route signs are up, finish line will be prepared, things are happening people. It WILL happen. Don't let this storm fool you: New York New York WILL be playing as the canons go off on 11/4/12.

The foliage waited for you, runners. Get ready for some FABULOUS Central Park views from miles 24-26.2. I can't wait to be greeted by trees, hopefully still bearing their limbs! (Above and below photos curteousy of the greatest South African Greek Goddess, Nadia! Check out her fundraising page!) 


Are you running?! Are you from out of town? Are you facing traveling struggles? NYC runners, do you have a day off? Any questions!? Tell me about it!

6 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

7 comments:

Kate said...

My girlfriend and I are coming over from Australia to run our first NYC marathon and now it looks like we won't even be able to fly into the city! Devastated. Flight due in on Thursday, just hoping the worst is over by then and that JFK has reopened!

The Joyful Traveller said...

I'm flying from London this Thursday to run the NY marathon for my husbands 40th birthday. Hope everyone keeps safe and looking forward to running in Central Park x

Anonymous said...

I am flying with my boyfriend for NYC Marathon on Thursday from Barcelona.
I just hope everything will be fine, as it is my first marathon and I've been waiting all year for this ....
xx

Laura Darling said...

Stay safe during the storm! I am in Philadelphia and things are getting bad!

Sarah said...

Where are you on that trail in CT? I live in CT...just looked familiar.

Unknown said...

Vernon CT rails for trails!

Sarah said...

It looks like the rails and trails in Trumbull that I run on.