Friday, October 19, 2012

Philly Marathon Goals

This is it. The goal post! I'm putting it out there, saying what I want. There's a certain fear in saying what I hope to achieve. What anyone fears is not reaching a goal that they really, really want. This time, I really want it. 

Last time, my goal was finishing. I reached it. I achieved it. I succeeded. My secret goal was getting my name in the New York Times. A piece of me got a bit sad when my watch beeped 5:00 and I was a mile away. Seeing it at the Finisher's Pavilion was also a sad moment for about 30 seconds. Then I realized that, heck, I finished a marathon! What would I do with that paper anyway?! Oh, I'm sure Pinterest has some ideas...

Anyway.

Here are some of my goals for the marathon:

Stay Focused. 

First Marathon: I feel like I was just along for the ride the first time. Taking in the scenery, lala land style. 
This Marathon: I will be monitoring my pace based on feel. I'm going to be constantly assessing how I feel; do I have more to give? Do I need slow down a bit? 



First Marathon: Last time I saw my family twice. I stopped both times, hugged, got pep talks etc.
This Marathon: I will only be seeing Mr. Miller in passing. (he surprised me and got a last minute bus ticket to Philly!!!)


First Marathon: I had a lot of fun. Lots high fives, lots of "Thanks You's" to supporters.
This Marathon: I will smile. Talking takes a lot of energy. I will TRY to restrain myself from talking...but I like to talk. So we'll see. Stay focused.



Stay in Good Form.

First Marathon: I tripped on the Verrazano Bridge within the first mile. (NOTE: The white lane dividers painted on road are RAISED!)
This Marathon: I will be VERY careful with picking up my feet. When I get distracted, I tend to trip! I will be paying closer attention.


First Marathon: I didn't pay as close attention to my form as I should have. My fuel belt actually helps me stand up straight, but some of those hills definitely induce some forward leaning.
This Marathon: Every mile I'm checking my form. It's good for my whole body, but especially for my knees and hips.




Stay under 5:00


First Marathon: 5:10:23
This Marathon: >5:00. This is my only goal. There isn't a plan A, B, and C. I plan on crossing the finish line with a sweet PR. If it's 4:30, WOW. If it's 4:45, GREAT. If it's 4:59:59 FANTASTIC.



First Marathon: I had a sweet medal photo.
This Marathon: Repeat performance.





1 day until the Philly marathon!!!

4 comments:

protometal @ clippinalong.blogspot.com said...

Good luck! You'll do great!

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

go go go girl! I'm so excited for you! Go out there and give it all you got. No matter what, you'll be a marathoner times 2 and that's freaking amazing! Sending you hugs and speedy thoughts. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Karen said...

Good luck!

Christine said...

Have SO much fun in Philly! Enjoy the day !