Wednesday, October 17, 2012

So, a runner gets an ingrown toe nail...

Three weeks before the marathon.
+
Now it's infected.
=
dlhfdjkfh#sjfhdjkfa9diw9oieadn+doiajidhs#3

So, I have to have a procedure done to remove part of my toe nail on my big toe. After reading several NOT so encouraging posts about surgeries gone bad (Google can be a friend or foe), I finally found this article that laid it out. The recommended recovery time is one to two weeks of no strenuous activity. I'll be doing my long run (8-10 miles depending on what my toe can take) on Friday morning before the procedure.

Let's back up a minute. I have had to annually visit the podiatrist because my feet are prone to ingrown toe nails. As I was cutting my nails Friday night before my 20 mile run, I scraped out the cuticles like my Doctor has shown me to do. Well, I believe I became a bit aggressive and it started bleeding...oops. So, in typical me fashion, I put on Neosporin and ignored it because, well, blood and I don't mix. I woke up at 2am to a throbbing toe almost doubled in size. Insert NO SLEEP until 5:15am alarm. I tested out my toe, somehow got it in my shoe, and thankfully it went numb. 20 miles piece of cake. Sunday? PAIN. Monday? Oozing. Infected. You live, you learn.


The sad part? (In addition to the fact that the marathon is just 3 weeks away...) I'm supposed to be going to Bear Mountain with a fabulous group of friends for hiking and Oktoberfest Saturday. Therefore, if all goes according to plan, I'll be cuddling up to my iPad reading all YOUR blog posts and tweets while my friends enjoy some outdoorsy foliage fun. I missed this hike last year because I was sick and in training. What the heck!? I just want to hike gosh darn it!!!

Have you ever gotten injured right before a big race? Sprained ankle? Toe nail like me? Race-ending injured? Tell me about it. 

18 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

4 comments:

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

ouchie so sorry! Hope it's a speedy recovery. I am glad though that it isn't any broken bones or anything. Sending you hugs!

Beth @RxBethOnTheRun said...

I developed tendinitis 2 weeks before the NYC Half back in March and thought I might not be able to run my first half marathon. I rested and barely ran the two weeks leading up to the race. And then I RAN :) I ran it, it hurt, then I recovered! I have also has this procedure on my toe done before. Rest as much as you can right after and you should be okay to run the marathon! The worst part is the shot and the day or two after. Then it heals and you feel GREAT!!!

Ed said...

Dang that sucks...hope it heals soon!

Rachel said...

ooo what a bummer!! so sorry to hear!! besides the injuries that can come with training for a marathon, the other downside is sometimes you miss out on other life stuff cause you don't want to get hurt in training! hope you can get in your long run fairly pain free!!